Tuesday, June 25, 2019

All of Our Eggs in One Laboratory

Guess what?! We had our embryo transfer today! The long awaited day finally arrived and I am so proud of us! This has been such a journey and making it to this day feels like such an accomplishment.



Our egg retrevial was June 20th. They got 16 eggs and we were absolutely thrilled with that number. A couple days prior to retrevial I began to feel the effects of having ovaries the size of tennis balls. I don't actually know if they were that big, but it sure felt like it. As soon as I woke up from the anesthesia I felt a million times better. The discomfort (aka the bloating and constipation) lasted for a few days but steadily got better. I was so terrified of getting OHSS and having to postpone the transfer, so I was kind of a nazi about the amount of protein
and electrolytes I was getting, as well as being adamant about keeping my legs elevated as much as I could. Not easy to do being on my feet as massage therapist, but I did the best I could.


The following morning they let us know that 14 of those eggs were mature and 13 had fertilized. We couldn't believe how these numbers were looking. A miracle to us, if we have ever seen one.

Our day three growth report was a phone call we were extremely anxious to get. I was working when they called us and thankfully they were kind enough to leave a detailed message for me. I noticed the voicemail in between clients and as I listened my jaw dropped. "As of today, you actually have 14 growing embryos. Turns out the one we didn't think was progressing actually did fertilize and has caught up with the other embryos. All of them are within the right cell count and are looking great!"

I. Was. Shocked! I was expecting numbers to go down, not up! I had time to listen to it twice, text Isaac with the heart stopping results, and continue on with my client as if nothing had happened.

For two days Isaac and I looked at each other a million times with beaming smiles on our faces saying, "FOURTEEN!" We hadn't felt this much hope in so long. We wanted to savor every bit of the happiness we felt. To us, this meant success. We knew numbers wouldn't stay this way, but starting out so high gave us great odds. We expected about 40-50% of the embryos to make it to day 5 and we felt good about those numbers.

The day of transfer you're instructed to arrive unshowered without any lotions, deodorants, or anything that has harmful particles. Embryos are apparently very, very fragile and even small particles in the air can damage them. So we showed up scruffy, probably smelly, and extremely excited.  We arrived 30 minutes early because the clinic prescribed Valium to take before the transfer and wanted me to take it there.  Thank goodness I had that damn pill because I was an anxious wreck. By the time Dr. Conway came in, I was relaxed and ready. Poor Isaac is still recovering from his anxiety.



We were handed a sheet with a picture of all the best embryos. Five beautiful, precious embryos were photographed with the best one up close. It sounds silly but I was a little emotional looking at it. These are the babies Isaac and I worked so hard to create and there I was, seeing them at 5 days gestation.


We went back and fourth for days on whether or not we should transfer two embryos to increase the odds of one sticking. It was agony. There was a lot to consider with only a few days to make the choice. We decided a healthy baby and a healthy pregnancy was ultimately the goal. This whole infertility process has been so difficult mentally and physically, we felt like it wasn't a good idea at this time to increase the risk of complications. So we transferred the beauty on the left and the rest will be biopsied and sent for genetic testing.  

We were able to watch a live feed of the embryologist sucking the embryo up into the cathetar while Dr. Conway did a practice run with her tools. The transfer itself was quick, painless, and we were able to see right where the embryo was placed on the ultrasound screen. 


                       



I relaxed on the table for a little bit so my little embaby had the chance to float around and get comfy before I got up and moved around. It was surreal to lay there and realize that just like that, we were done with IVF. 


I'm officially pregnant until proven otherwise. That's at least what IVF couples say during this time. I'm feeling so positive and hopeful that I will stay this way until spring of 2020 rolls around and it's time to bring this soul Earth side. 

I am so excited to protect, nurture and nourish our baby. I am so excited to love them for everything that they are. I look forward to helping our children develop their talents, embrace their unique qualities, and make this world a better place. 

I am grateful that I get to be a Mom. Today really couldn't have gone any better. 

Wish us luck and lots of baby dust! ๐Ÿงก



1 comment:

  1. This is fantabulous ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete